The Operating Budget: Planning & Administration
The Planning and Budget office oversees the long range planning process and prepares the University’s annual operating budget. The University uses a rolling, five-year, budget-planning window. The budget process operates in a continuous cycle as it moves through the planning and development, implementation and monitoring phases, leading directly into the planning phase for the next year.
Each year, the budget assumptions of the year before are updated and new assumptions prepared for one additional year. Revised revenue and expense projections are prepared for the new cycle based on these assumptions. This approach provides a more realistic horizon for the University for the purpose of planning and decision making in a fast-changing environment.
The University’s approach to budgeting is described in the Task Force to Review Approach to Budgeting Final Report .
- Key DatesImportant dates in the annual budget cycle.
- Budget PlanningTools to assist with the development of divisional long range budget plans.
- Budget AdministrationInstructions and tools to assist divisional planners with implementation of the budget.
- Budget ReportsArchive of Annual University of Toronto Budget Reports
- Monitoring and ForecastingInformation about the monitoring process and current forecasts of enrolment and financial position.